Saturday, September 02, 2006

Laundy Room Cabinets & Floor!

My brother Danny helped Tom move the washer & dryer out of the laundry room on Mon the 28th of August. "Just for a few days" I was told.
Tom & Mandy hung the cabinets in the laundry room. YIPPEE! They look great, although even I'll need a step stool to get to the top shelves; good place for long term storage.
Tom & I had talked about placement of the cabinets that morning over coffee on the deck.We had discussed dropping the cabinets down from the ceiliing enough to sit most of my smaller teddy bear collection on them. Since the room is open, bright & sunny; it was a perfect place to display them.
Apparently he wasn't quite awake yet, or he thought my bears were quite a bit smaller than the 5" clearance from cabinet to ceiling.
Personally, I think he's just hoping the whole bear thing will go away.
But when you paint your laundry room "Puppy Paws" brown, what else could a girl who collects bears possibly put in there?
So....maybe a little focused lighting to draw attention to those poor small bears who would otherwise not be in the limelight...what do you think??
OK, OK, I digress , the cabinets are in & the floor has been cleaned.
Oh...speaking of the floor...who do you think cleaned it???
Right! I had to go online to find out the best thing to use to clean a concrete floor prior to laying porcelain or ceramic tile. A "mild acidic wash" was strongly recommended on multiple sites. Now, I ask you...why the hell couldn't they just say vinegar & water????
To properly clean the floors I had to get down on my hands & knees with a putty knife & scrape all residue dropped from the drywallers off the concrete floors (umm...just drywall residue). You live with the mess & don't focus on most of it (actually you try to ignore it) until you have to clean it! Cheese & Crackers! What a mess they made! Some of those drywall gobs were as big as cowpies!
To make matters worse, I had to finish this on the weekend so Tom & Mandy could start tiling on Monday.
And Bob & Judy (Our Neighbors
) Had All The Relatives Up From The Big City!!!
And they were laughing & drinking & having fun & going out on the boat and I had to stay home & clean. I felt like the ugly step-sister (which, of course I'm not), but the floor had to be mopped 3 times before it was ready to tile (and I really wanted to go play instead). Do you have any idea what a concrete floor does to a mop head?
So the floors are ready! It's the weekend of the 12th of August and we can play now.
And the neighbors took damn good care of us at the end of the work day-damn good food-lots of good red wine, great conversation, lots of fun-and did it for the rest of the weekend!
Good thing because the floors were ready on the 14th & Tom & Mandy didn't start tiling until the 28th!!!
I must say though, the wait was worth it. The two of them make an awesome team....Mandy sets up the pattern, actually loks at each tile, selects & places it based on color flow, Tom has cutting the tiles , especially the ones with the funky corners down pat!
Can't wait to see the Foyer!
Oh-by the way it's the 2nd of Sept & the washer & dryer are still not hooked up. Shall we take up a pool on the date?

No comments: