Thursday, September 28, 2006

Scaffolding was delivered on the 21st of August! On the 30th of Sept., Gene-the contractor hired by Erie to repair the trim work, finally finished! He showed up that morning to give the drywall repair the final sanding & he was taking down the scaffolding. As I stood there watching this process, I'm thinking I'm not overly impressed with his finish work. Then I notice that the nail holes in the molding aren't even caulked!!! The drywall repair needs to be painted!!! "You need to leave that scaffolding right where it is" I told him. "The nail holes aren't caulked" "That's the way the old trim was when I started" he said. Oh Horse shit! I sure do not want him to finish the trim work, a finisher he's clearly not! "Just leave the scaffolding-I'll have Mandy caulk the holes" I told him. I'm tired of fighting with this crap!
So, on Monday, Mandy (trooper that she is) filled the nail holes, sanded & repaired the piss poor drywall job & painted. Then the three of us came up with a game plan on how to finish the trim off, Tom called Erie & they sent out another contractor on the 3rd to complete the repairs. They were on the ball, did a nice job.
On Friday I attempted to climb to the top of the scaffolding to wash the windows. I assembled my tools & carried them up the ladder, I swung my butt from the ladder to the scaffolding edge & am now sitting there. Tom, who's safely on the ground mind you, asks "why don't you just wait for Mandy?"
"Because I'm stubborn, anal about my windows, she's never used a squeegee & damnit I should be able to do this!"
Well there I sat, not a very wide space, nothing to hold on to, but I just need to stand up right? What's the big deal? And still I sat. I thought we'll just start with me getting on my knees-OK-that's a damn long way down.....I'm now sitting again.....then there's this noise in my ears....
MANDY'S knocking at the front door with Eva. Too late-I can't wash windows-I have to take care of Eva! That's my job! I just need to get my butt off this scaffolding & back down the ladder. Even that took a bit of mental talking into, but I made it. Safe on the ground again, a baby in my arms. Mandy started her Monday off washing windows, learned to use a squeegee while Eva & I coached. Did an awesome job, looked just like a pro & climbed around up there like she was on terra firma.
They finally showed up to take the scaffolding down on the 6th of October!
I knew I should have charged for storage!
We have a painted, trimmed, geometrically correct window & are closing this chapter.

No comments: